Venting II

by zenquaker

So the new system went online today, bringing to mind the old adage “it can always get worse.” We had almost 5,000 reports in triage this morning. We normally have 200-300. The put in all sorts of whacko stuff. Apparently they put in everything from January to March, before there even were integrated teams to do triage for. There are a whole bunch of reports from other long ago times that were apparently triggered by the closing of “wait consent” tasks, which is not the way things are supposed to work, and which may give us data moving forward that was already triaged in the old system. My favorite were the tasks that were tasked to triage before they were received by the organization. Apparently the system is psychic, and can tell months ahead of time when we are going to be getting a report that we will need to triage.

As if that wasn’t enough, things that were working last week aren’t working anymore. Major things, like being able to filter reports in the analysis report listing. It was truly insane. Me and one of my co-workers literally spent the entire day finding problems and emailing them to the contractors, with sporadic help from two other co-workers. And our sister division apparently had a long list of problems as well.

That psychic date problem was the killer. It had me totally stunned. I couldn’t figure out what to do. I mean, how do you work with a system that is telling you things that are physically impossible? How can you possibly trust anything else it is telling you? In the end I had to trust it just because I had to move forward and get some work done.

It was really stressful. I was thinking today that I understand a lot of work and confusion is necessary in every job from time to time, especially in times of change like switching to new systems. But this system has been more stressful than any other changeover I’ve dealt with, it’s been going on for a long time, and it keeps getting more stressful. This afternoon I wasn’t sure how much longer I could deal with it. As in, I wasn’t sure how long I could deal with it before quitting and finding another job. I feel a bit better now after coming home, eating, and starting work on the online habit course. But if (as we expect) the other divisions are going to be upset with this system, and some of that upset is going to wash over on us as the immediate source of the reports, then its going to get better before it gets worse.

I don’t know. I guess it’s just one day at a time. Today is over and I need to go to sleep. Tomorrow I will deal with tomorrow. And maybe tomorrow I’ll have some time to write about the online habit course.